Here are some do's and don'ts for using Instagram:
- Match your Twitter and Instagram name to make it easy for people to find you
- Be social! Just like any other form of social media, you should be interacting more than you are posting content. Comment and like other's photos frequently
- Share your tea experiences. Shots of leaves dancing in water or unfurled oolongs after a few steeps are always popular.
- Use hashtags. This helps people who might interested in your topic to find your photos. #tea is one that I use regularly.
- Try to stay on topic to attract the most followers. I have a separate personal account where I post non-tea related pics.
- Mention brands and followers in your posts. All you have to do is use the @ symbol followed by their username, just like twitter.
- Post the work of other people and claim it as your own
- Use unrelated hashtags just to get more views, likes or comments
- If you are a brand, don't use it as an advertisement. Share your tea experience with your followers in order to turn them into customers.
- Ask people to follow you. This is behavior can come across as rude and off-putting
- Post photos that weren't taken with your mobile device. It's cheating!
I use a helpful site called Statigram that helps me to keep track of statistics for my Instagram account. Here are some fun snapshots of my stats that I was able to download. Click on them to see larger, easier to read versions.
For the month of June, I will be running my first Instagram Photo Challenge. I will be posting the image below on June 1st. Join me in posting a picture for each day! Make sure that you use the hashtag #teaformeplease so that I can see your entries. I will be posting the best of them at the end of the month.