If you read this blog regularly you know that I love all things social media, especially when I can combine it with my love of tea. Instagram is quickly becoming one of my favorite mediums. It’s quick and simple to use, especially when I am on the go. Once of my favorite things is that language barriers do not present an issue because you are communicating primarily in pictures. I’ve been able to connect with tea lovers all over the world. You can follow me @teaformeplease
Here are some do’s and don’ts for using Instagram:
- Match your Twitter and Instagram name to make it easy for people to find you
- Be social! Just like any other form of social media, you should be interacting more than you are posting content. Comment and like other’s photos frequently
- Share your tea experiences. Shots of leaves dancing in water or unfurled oolongs after a few steeps are always popular.
- Use hashtags. This helps people who might interested in your topic to find your photos. #tea is one that I use regularly.
- Try to stay on topic to attract the most followers. I have a separate personal account where I post non-tea related pics.
- Mention brands and followers in your posts. All you have to do is use the @ symbol followed by their username, just like twitter.
- Post the work of other people and claim it as your own
- Use unrelated hashtags just to get more views, likes or comments
- If you are a brand, don’t use it as an advertisement. Share your tea experience with your followers in order to turn them into customers.
- Ask people to follow you. This is behavior can come across as rude and off-putting
- Post photos that weren’t taken with your mobile device. It’s cheating!
I use a helpful site called Statigram that helps me to keep track of statistics for my Instagram account. Here are some fun snapshots of my stats that I was able to download. Click on them to see larger, easier to read versions.
For the month of June, I will be running my first Instagram Photo Challenge. I will be posting the image below on June 1st. Join me in posting a picture for each day! Make sure that you use the hashtag #teaformeplease so that I can see your entries. I will be posting the best of them at the end of the month.