There’s an unusual combination that I’ve been obsessed with this summer. Matcha and watermelon juice! It barely counts as a recipe but I just had to share it here on the blog. I love pairing matcha with things like lemonade or coconut water. This is a much sweeter choice but I think they balance each other well.
You could use culinary grade matcha for a drink like this but I still prefer to use a slightly higher quality tea. There are inexpensive options out there that will give you better color and taste. A good rule of thumb is that if it doesn’t taste good on its own, it won’t work well in recipes where the tea shines through.
If you’re in the mood for a cocktail, it might be fun to play around with adding gin or vodka. I like to use a stemless wine glass for serving this drink but any glass will do.
2 Layered Matcha with Watermelon Juice
- 2 chashaku scoops of Matcha (about 3/4 of a teaspoon)
- 1 cup of Watermelon Juice
- Fill your glass with ice and pour the watermelon juice on top. Be sure to only fill it about halfway so that there is room for the matcha.
- Sift your matcha and whisk with hot water as you normally would. I like to make it somewhere between koicha and usucha, not too thin and not too thick. The water temperature should be no higher than 175°F.
- Pour the matcha on top. You can use a spoon to help separate the layers but I find that I don’t usually need to do that.
Have you ever tried matcha with watermelon juice? Is there another combo that I need to experiment with? Let me know in the comments below. If you give this drink a try, make sure to tag me on social media @teaformeplease!
Oooh, I’ve not tried this but this sounds delicious!
Thanks! It’s definitely a new favorite combo for me.