Tomato Mint savory tea from +Numi Organic Tea, I've been trying to come up with a way to use it in a recipe. Savory scones seemed like a perfect match. I started with a basic recipe that I found online and then I tweaked it a bit to suit the tea and my own preferences. I used my KitchenAid Stand Mixer with a dough hook attachment but you could also very easily mix this by hand. If you try this recipe, leave me a comment about how it turned out. I'd love to hear what you think!
Tomato Mint Tea Scones
3 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
5 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of butter
1 cup of milk
2 teabags of Numi Organic Tea's Tomato Mint
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees
2. Combine all dry ingredients, including the contents of the two teabags
3. Cut butter into small cubes and add to dry mix
4. Slowly stir in the egg and cup of milk until a loose dough forms
5. Lightly kneeed the dough on a floured surface and press flat until about 1 inch thick
6. Use a small cup to cut out circle shapes. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown
Recipe makes approximately 15 scones.
These are best served with butter right out of the oven, though my co-workers thought that they were still pretty tasty the next day. I also think that they would be a perfect accompaniment to a cup of Assam and a bowl of tomato bisque soup.